The South Coast Bikeway Alliance would like to thank the 73 riders, 40+ volunteers and many supporters of our second annual Pedal for the Path fundraiser bike ride, held on Sunday, August 18, 2019. The ride was established to raise funds for the completion of the South Coast Bikeway, specifically the missing connection between New Bedford and Fall River.
The South Coast Bikeway, once realized, will be a 50-mile continuous system of bike paths (or multi-use paths) and bike lanes that will connect Rhode Island to Cape Cod. Cities and towns included in this plan are Swansea, Somerset, Fall River, Westport, Dartmouth, New Bedford, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Marion and Wareham. Several segments of the bikeway already exist in Swansea, Fall River, New Bedford, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett and Wareham.
We would like to thank our host venue, Dartmouth YMCA, our ice cream sponsors: Annie’s Ice Cream Shack, Acushnet Creamery (Pier 3 New Bedford and Dockside in Padanaram),and Alderbrook Farm and Head Town Landing Country Store for providing donuts for all of our riders. A special thank you to Kim Camara of Yesteryear Cyclery for providing support for the bicyclists before and along the route. Thank you to the Chase Farm Veterinary Hospital, Pare Corporation, Dartmouth Rotary and The Black Whale/Not Your Average Joe’s for their generous sponsorship. Thank you also to Moby Dick Brewery, Native Water, B4 Printing, Shaw’s Dartmouth, Stop & Shop Dartmouth and the United Way of Greater New Bedford for their support.
The South Coast Bikeway Alliance is working to connect our communities with improved bicycle and pedestrian accommodations. For more information about our organization and how you might get involved please visit southcoastbikeway.com.
The South Coast Bikeway Alliance
What is it?
The South Coast Bikeway Alliance (SCBA) will hold its second regional bike-ride fundraiser, Pedal for the Path.
Beginning and ending at the Dartmouth YMCA, three distances (57, 20 and 12) offer miles of fabulous cycling, postcard perfect scenic views, more historic places than you can count, and, along the way, memorable ice cream and a donut! A post ride celebration features food and Moby Dick Brewing Co. beer for purchase!
Sponsored stops include: (Note: Each route has a different selection of stops.)
Acushnet Creamery at Pier 3 – ice cream
Annie’s Ice Cream Shack – ice cream
The Black Whale – water stop
Head Town Landing Country Store – donuts
Alderbrook Farm – ice cream
Dockside Ice Cream – Acushnet Creamery
A map and complete details will be available soon.
57 mile route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30758266
20 mile route:https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30795872?privacy_code=NoR2hPgiKtf6Q5dT
12 mile route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30795677?privacy_code=f2swvhgC02Lz7QGy
Please refer to our Facebook page for the latest event updates. Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Registration opens July 7th. As space is limited, sign up – right away! https://pedal-for-the-path-2019.eventbrite.com
Not planning to ride? Donate anyway on our website or Facebook page! Thank you!
We will need plenty of help on the day of the event, Sunday 18 August. If you don’t feel like riding but want to be outside doing something helpful and fun – then this is your opportunity to have it all. Click on the button above to sign up.
What is it for?
This ride will help raise funds for an engineering feasibility study enabling the communities of Dartmouth, New Bedford, and Westport to move closer to completing their portions of a multi-use South Coast Bikeway spanning from Swansea to Wareham. Sections have already been completed in Fall River, Fairhaven, New Bedford and Mattapoisett. We need your help to bring the Path to completion!
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
- There’s plenty of parking in the YMCA parking lot. The Dartmouth YMCA is located at 276 Gulf RD, South Dartmouth, MA 02748.
When can I check in for the ride?
- Registration check-in starts at 8:00 am. All riders must check-in at planned intervals (indicated on map and cue sheet). Riders must return by 3:00 pm; ride support will be provided up to 3:00 pm.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s the refund policy?
- No refunds, very sorry. And the ride will be RAIN or SHINE.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
- Print or online receipts are accepted.
- You will be required to sign a waiver when you arrive.
Is my registration fee or ticket transferable?
- Not transferable, sorry.
What is the terrain?
- The route traverses country roads as well as city streets and a few suburban blocks, depending upon the distance you choose. Two draw bridges, that open every half hour, may encourage you to pause and look at the boats! Water refills and bathrooms will be available at rest areas and ice cream stops.
How do I get my ice cream or donut?
- Present yourself at the counter with your rider bib on. The 57 mile and 20 mile routes include a donut stop!
What kind of cycling support will be available?
- Yesteryear Cyclery will provide assistance at the start, on the road as needed, and will sweep the course.
What if I can’t complete the entire route?
- You will be provided an emergency phone number for assistance.
What about maps/cue sheets?
- 57 mile route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30758266
- 20 mile route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30795872?privacy_code=NoR2hPgiKtf6Q5dT
- 12 mile route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30795677?privacy_code=f2swvhgC02Lz7QGy
- Maps and cue sheets will NOT be available through Eventbrite.
- Printed maps and cue sheets will also be available at check-in on the day of the ride.
What do I need to bring on the day of the ride?
- Remember to bring your confirmation email (electronic or hard copy) with you to check-in.
- Helmets must be worn.
- Water bottles are a must for this long ride. Water bottles will be given at check-in. Water stations will provide refills.
- Bike gloves help prevent injury to hands from long hours on the handlebars.
- Snacks and water are provided at the checkpoints. If you have other preferences (sports drink, juice, etc.) be prepared to purchase items at stores along the way.